Author Topic: upload vs files  (Read 4414 times)

thetitan

• Veni Vidi Vici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yvebts
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - althetaz
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
upload vs files
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:09:22 pm »
What's the difference between the upload and files directories?

It looks to me that the upload directory is used to store documents created with OpenGoo and files is used to store avatars. Shouldn't this be the other way around. The files directory should by used to store files created by OpenGoo and uploads should be used to store files uploaded by the users, like avatars and docs.

Better yet - why are there two different storage locations? There should be only one file destination. The storage directory should be called either files or uploads. The best choice would also be for the administrator to select the storage destination. Something that is a standard in many web aps.

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: upload vs files
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:33:44 pm »
The difference is that files under public/files are meant to be accessible via an URL (this is general for all files under the public folder).

The files under the upload directory are meant to be accessed through OpenGoo, which means that you need an OpenGoo user with the appropiate permissions to access the files. A good security practice would be to deny access through the browser to all folders in OpenGoo except the public folder and the help folder (which BTW should have been placed under the public folder and probably will in future versions).

thetitan

• Veni Vidi Vici
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:50:47 am »
It makes seance to have the two storage locations. I do think though, that having the public directory called files and the private directory called uploads makes things confusing. If uploaded documents and images are stored in the files directory, and locally created files are stored in the uploads directory, shouldn't the directory names be the other way around?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:36:57 am »
Both uploaded documents and documents created with OpenGoo are stored in the upload folder (or the DB depending on the storage backend). The folder is called upload because originally it only supported uploading files. Maybe now some other name would be more adequate, I agree, but changing the name now isn't too trivial (think of upgrades).

thetitan

• Veni Vidi Vici
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:26:21 am »
changing the names now is not a big deal, i just thought it might be confusing to OpenGoo admins.

Does uploads only store documents?
Where do email attachments and uploaded images go? So far I know that avatars are stored in the files directory.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »
All files and documents that are shown on the Documents tab in OpenGoo are stored in the upload folder, including email attachments and uploaded images. The public/files folder stores avatars and logos.