Author Topic: What a great Product! However, does a beginners guide exist?  (Read 5248 times)

videosession

• View Profile
What a great Product! However, does a beginners guide exist?
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:48:56 am »
1. Thank you for an already outstandingly simple yet powerful tool!
2. My "Help" section is completely empty; is this normal for a new install?  Can I add Help files somewhere?
3. My "check email accounts" gives an error; is there a simple howto for setting up the email?
4. The admin login under Administration has "Groups" and "Workspaces"; what's the difference?  Currently, there are 3 users and all of whom have administrator privileges so this setup my make Groups negligible?

Again, thanks hugely for your work.  I installed OpenGoo on a shared hosting server and it works well so far.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: What a great Product! However, does a beginners guide exist?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:27:31 am »
1. You are welcome.  :)
2. Yes it is. :-\ There is a way, which is not documented. If anyone is willing to do some, we will gladly and promptly check it and bundle it.
3. No. We should do one!
4. This part of the administration is still complicated. If all your users are administrators the 'Groups' lose meaning. 'Groups' are for assigning permissions.

OpenGoo documentation is poor. The intention of this forum section is exactly to do this: ask your questions, any questions, without risk of feeling too noob.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

videosession

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »
Well, until I hosed up my install during an upgrade from 0.8 to 0.9, I was going to offer to help, but now....I'm not so sure you'd want it.

Well anyhow,
1.  Yes, I still can't believe this product is so awesome and simple too
2. Maybe I can create the text for some of the help files if i knew how to place them onto the correct folder/db location?
3.  Ditto, if I knew how to solve this I could write it up for a "Getting Started" howto setup email for the first time?   NOTE: the mass mailing function works via phpmail and smtp from the admin login, but no one (including admin) can send email via the "messages" tab, which is the "normal" way of sending email (version zero.eight - ... couldn't stop the smilies) 
4. I figured out that Groups are to be used for setting a permissions level similar to "power users, users, and guests" like in WinXP.  ALSO, discovered the granular permissions can be further defined on each users profile (when logged in as admin), further restricting specific activities.  I have since created a "powerusers" Group which can do everything except Config, which I reserve for the admin only.

If I knew how to create and add help files, I would and then give them back to the project.

Awesome work, thanks.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:41:43 am »
Help files are html files located in the opengoo/help folder. It is only a proof of concept yet, nearly no content.
They are regular html files, with the only exceptiona that links need a special attribute
Code: [Select]
class="internalLink" for example in opengoo/help/index.html :
Code: [Select]
<a class="internalLink" href="help/guide.html">Quick start guide</a>Feel free to ignore this and send via email or post here help files in regular html. We will convert it to OpenGoo help.
Thanks a lot,
Marcos

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:40:43 am »

4. I figured out that Groups are to be used for setting a permissions level similar to "power users, users, and guests" like in WinXP.  ALSO, discovered the granular permissions can be further defined on each users profile (when logged in as admin), further restricting specific activities.  I have since created a "powerusers" Group which can do everything except Config, which I reserve for the admin only.

Maybe I'm missing something.  I'm trying to set up a group to view one of my workspaces/subworkspaces without having to manually add in every user that I want to see it.  I've created the group, and assigned users to it, but when I edit the workspace, it does not give me the option to select that group--just the long list of users.

Secondly, when I edit one workspace, how can I get the permissions casacade down into the associated subworkspaces, or does each subworkspace also need to be edited manually?

Thanks!

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:38:18 pm »
Hi editfish,
Maybe I'm missing something.  I'm trying to set up a group to view one of my workspaces/subworkspaces without having to manually add in every user that I want to see it.  I've created the group, and assigned users to it, but when I edit the workspace, it does not give me the option to select that group--just the long list of users.
Currently you cannot do this with the permissions functionality, groups only work for general permissions (can manage workspaces, can manage security, etc).
Secondly, when I edit one workspace, how can I get the permissions casacade down into the associated subworkspaces, or does each subworkspace also need to be edited manually?
I'm sorry to say you can't, yet. I'm increasing priority to this.
Thanks for the feedback,
Marcos

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:57:06 pm »
I'm not consciously trying to make more work for you; it just seems to turn out that way.  :D

Seriously, though, I'm very patient.  Opengoo is bar none the best opensource personal information/bookmark manager (that's how we use it, anyway) that I've come across (and I've tried out a lot!).

Keep up the good work!

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 06:26:35 pm »
Great to hear this.
And please don't get me wrong, you feedback is very welcome.
You are really helping us improve.
Marcos

technomensch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »
1. You are welcome.  :)
2. Yes it is. :-\ There is a way, which is not documented. If anyone is willing to do some, we will gladly and promptly check it and bundle it.
3. No. We should do one!
4. This part of the administration is still complicated. If all your users are administrators the 'Groups' lose meaning. 'Groups' are for assigning permissions.

OpenGoo documentation is poor. The intention of this forum section is exactly to do this: ask your questions, any questions, without risk of feeling too noob.

Any interest in creating a wiki for HELP and FAQs?  If so, or if you want to create basic documents, I would love to help as soon as I figure out how to get it installed.  What can I do to help?  What format are you looking at making the documents in?