Author Topic: Detailed change tracking in company / contact history  (Read 2397 times)

ThorstenW

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Detailed change tracking in company / contact history
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »
Currently, OpenGoo offers information about when and by whom a company or contact entry has been edited.

In my opinion this does not add much value to the company/contact data as long as you are not able to actually get an idea about what changes have been made.

I attached two screenshots that show different ways of implementing this detailed history.

The first one (from the tine 2.0 project) is rather compact. Instead of displaying OpenGoo's " Company X updated" a list of all changed fields is shown.

The second way (epesi) displays every changed field in its own row including the old and new value.
I woudn't care much about the first and last section ("Current Record" and "Original Record") as it is completely redundant but I like the middle part ("Changes History") very much.
This is exactly what I would love seeing in OpenGoo's Company and Contacts history respectively.

Would be great to read your thoughts on this :)

Thorsten

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Detailed change tracking in company / contact history
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:46:56 pm »
These are really good examples, thanks for posting them.  Have you tried the custom reports feature in 1.4 beta?  I haven't explored this very thoroughly myself but perhaps this is something you could generate yourself.

As well, on the Sponsor a Feature page, there are a couple of entries that are on the feature sponsorship list.  The relevant ones I see to your suggest are in the platinum section near the bottom, "Periodical digest of account activities" and "User activity log." Although one is specifically concerned with email, they both seem to deal with the detail that you are looking for.

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ThorstenW

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:13 am »
Hi Pet,

thank you for your quick reply.

I just setup a local beta installation and tested the custom report feature.  The improvements to the reporting module are great!

Unfortunately it doesn't help in my case. Since the old values of contact and company data are dismissed when updating fields they can't be retrieved from the database by the reporting tool.

Before posting this feature request I read through the SaF page. I did not find a matching entry but with "User activity log" you have probably pointed out the most similar at least. However my impression was that neither of them dealt with "which data should be stored" but "how to serve already stored data" instead.

Is there any way to read more details about the Features on the SaF page?

Greetings,
Thorsten

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:43:34 am »
Hi Thorsten.

First, the feature you request would certainly be very valuable. I would definitely help and champion in sponsoring this.

Second, your analysis on possible implementations is very thoughtful and clear. In essence, I agree with all your observations.

About more detail on SaF, there is no additional information currently published (only some clarifications here and there over the forum). We will work on improving it through this week. In the mean time, feel free to contact me or anyone at the team for clarifications. You can also ask questions here at the forum.

Finally, I am not sure I understand the "dismissed data issue" you refer. I'll check with Carlos to see if I can better grasp this.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.