Author Topic: unable to import contacts  (Read 6080 times)

helen

• View Profile
unable to import contacts
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:41:44 am »
i am trying to import a .csv file of contacts, but when i browse to the file on my desktop, i get an error message telling me "the file does not exist" - which is clearly untrue as i can see it, open it, it is 20kb ...

helen

• View Profile
Re: unable to import contacts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:02:20 pm »
it still doesn't work. has no-one else out there ever had this problem?

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
I tested this for you on mine.  In my outlook, I selected export format "DOS csv" (not Windows CSV): OG said "not a valid csv", but clicked ok to continue with the import. I mapped the field mappings and continued on, but then it said could not complete due to error 80020101.  However, once I cleared the error message it said "successfully imported contacts" and my contacts were there, except a few with missing info.

No problem importing.  Have you tried using a different filename?  Perhaps there is a space in the filename or something that OG doesn't like.

cheers

Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »
hi, thanks for your reply.

i'm using thunderbird, on mac osx.4. the export options i have for the address book are LDIF, comma separated, or tab delimited. i used comma separated as this creates the csv file that opengoo requires.

i've tried opening the .csv file in both open office & excel & resaving it in different formats - i didn't know about the dos/windows alternatives for .csv but i have just tried both & i still get the same error message - the file does not exist : (

could it be something to do with thunderbird? but when i open the csv file, i can see all the contact information is there.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:09:57 pm »
Can you try if it works for you on version 1.4 beta?

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:05:19 am »
well, i downloaded 1.4 beta, & went to back-up before upgrading, & i got an error message, "Error while creating database backup: Backup command failed. Check MYSQLDUMP_COMMAND constant."

i don't want to risk upgrading without backing up, as i have already had to completely redo the whole thing once after my log-in was suddenly not an admin log-in any more. i would rather spend a couple of hours manually entering all my contacts, than risk having to spend more hours reinstalling & re-setting up the whole thing again ...

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:10:32 am »
helen, I think what Ingacio was suggesting was to set up a separate 1.4 beta folder to test with.  You are right, upgrading to test a beta is definitely dangerous and not something you want to do.  I myself use 2 separate OG folders, one for my live data with the latest stable release 1.3.1, and another just for testing.

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:55 am »
oh ok - i will try that then; but tomorrow - it's past my bedtime here now. thanks : )

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:24 am »
Yes, I meant a separate installation to test it, sorry for not being more specific  :-[

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:27:49 am »
i have got overwhelmed with other work & won't have time to do this for ages so i think i might just enter what i need manually, & wait for the next upgrade ...