Author Topic: Is anyone using Feng in a Primary school?  (Read 17561 times)

simon.maddox

• View Profile
Is anyone using Feng in a Primary school?
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:05:20 am »
I'm evaluating Feng - initially for Governor's portal. I like the way I can create work areas for each committee then have the calendar information roll up to the higher level. Meetings become Feng events ad the reminders and linking to docs is ideal.

Getting my head around the lack of folders - I can understand the concept of filtering using tags etc, but this "global" filtering is not always appropriate. On the other hand, perhaps the multitude of quirkily named folders in a normal filing system are avoided and information is easier to find?

Anyone else out there had any experiences in the education area??

William

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone using Feng in a Primary school?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »
Hello Simon,

I work at a state university and we used it for project/task management as well as document and web resources management.

It takes a bit of playing around but I've found that the folders we are used to are called workspaces in Feng Office and it works as a hierarchy in much the same way.  Tasks and other items created in a sub-workspace can be seen in the parent workspace. The great thing about the Tag feature is you can give any item a tag, such as "Budget Fiscal Year 2012" and you can click on that tag and it will pull up each item with that tag.  Additionally, selected a particular sub-workspace only shows the items in that workspace so you can drill down or drill up as needed.

I am currently using Feng Office to support non-profits in Texas.  I've given each of the non-profits a workspace to which they can create projects and tasks.  By putting all of these workspaces under me, I go to one spot, my workspace, to check all of my incoming tasks and email.

Overall, I've been very pleased with Feng Office in the education and non-profit sectors.  My main instance of Feng Office is version 1.7.5 which seems pretty stable.  The 2.0+ versions are completely different in look and menu options so if you are testing I'd check that one out.  It has more configuration options but it is a beta version and shouldn't be relied on for primary use yet.

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anyone using Feng in a Primary school?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
Hello Simon and William,

Thank you both for your inputs!
Indeed, several education centers (well known Universities in different countries included) use Feng Office and find it very useful.
As William has correctly pointed out, you may use workspaces as folders, which are really handy to filter information, as well as tags.

In case you would like to use a stable version, you should go for the 1.7.5 one as the 2.0 is still a BETA and it does have bugs and issues which have yet to be fixed.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!