Poll

If there's a $4 iPhone app for Opengoo I'll buy it

Yes, I need that app.
34 (72.3%)
Own an iPhone but don't need the app.
0 (0%)
An iPhone app? First need to get an iPhone.
13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: iPhone opengoo app development?  (Read 30780 times)

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
Re: iPhone opengoo app development?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 03:06:32 am »
How many users of OpenGoo owns an iPhone?

I understand that the point here is the money, but I can't see the point in developing a privative device version of an open source script... From my point of view, that would corrupt the ethical background.  :-\
Gnumla
Tu sitio de Joomla! en español

Syrion

• View Profile
    • Studio Krater v.o.f.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 05:03:40 am »
Hence an additional template-group for mobile browsing is preferable, so any PDA with internet access can use it.

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:04 am »
BTW, the poll won't show real results as the thread as an iphone title. Perhaps you could have more third options if you create a more neutral one. :-\
Gnumla

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 11:22:13 am »
Hi,

I'm willing to sponsor this feature, but only if it will be useable on most of the modern mobile browsers (not just iPhone ;) )
Also, I can't give you the big mony, but I'm willing to sponsor 100 EUR and some development time of my own.

Edit: Maybe it might be usefull to keep an IRC-chat conversation on this topic? (with someone taking notes and make a summary  ::) )

Glad to hear you are interested in sponsoring. We can schedule a chat meeting on this, but I would like to have more feedback from the community before we actually have the discussion.
You might imagine that 100 EUR does not cover complete development costs, but it's a good start ! We'll let you know when we find other users that show interest.

BTW, the poll won't show real results as the thread as an iphone title. Perhaps you could have more third options if you create a more neutral one. :-\

We are working on alternatives as mentioned here. Suggestions are welcome!

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:57 am »
We've opened two new threads concerning Funambol SyncML synchronization (for mobile devices):
If you are interested in sponsoring the feature, read this one.
If you have any questions, please post them here.

xcessi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:56:42 pm »
I would be willing to make a donation to the development of this app for the iPhone.. count me in for 25 USD

I like the idea of being able to create tasks offline and sync later when connection available..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:59:15 pm by xcessi »

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 06:32:43 pm »
I can't donate any money, but I'd be willing to help out on the development end... I'm thinking rather than building an app for the iphone, it would be better to simply make a web app that could be loaded into all smart phones or mobiles.  Also it wouldn't have to have full functionality.  I'm not going to take the time to do any heavy lifting on my iPhone or any document creation.  That's just a pain.  On the other hand it would be very handy to be able to login, and see what calendar events are coming up, add/edit events, look up contacts, and add/edit contacts, and get my email.  Having a persistent drop down with all the work areas could serve as method to filter all of the info with relevant tabs under that drop down... it could be set up as a mobile subdirectory that is automatically displayed when index.php encounters a mobile browser...

could be billed at a plugin I suppose

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:40 am »
I would be willing to make a donation to the development of this app for the iPhone.. count me in for 25 USD

I like the idea of being able to create tasks offline and sync later when connection available..

Good to know!

I can't donate any money, but I'd be willing to help out on the development end... I'm thinking rather than building an app for the iphone, it would be better to simply make a web app that could be loaded into all smart phones or mobiles.  Also it wouldn't have to have full functionality.  I'm not going to take the time to do any heavy lifting on my iPhone or any document creation.  That's just a pain.  On the other hand it would be very handy to be able to login, and see what calendar events are coming up, add/edit events, look up contacts, and add/edit contacts, and get my email.  Having a persistent drop down with all the work areas could serve as method to filter all of the info with relevant tabs under that drop down... it could be set up as a mobile subdirectory that is automatically displayed when index.php encounters a mobile browser...

could be billed at a plugin I suppose

Nowadays the best help we can receive is in the form of development documentation. Given the current OpenGoo architecture, what changes would you make? what features would you include in the mobile version? which ones would you leave out? Do you have any ideas for the interface?
Answering these questions would be a good start for us.

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:50 am »
Nowadays the best help we can receive is in the form of development documentation.

I think you should make up your mind about your preferences:

http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2510.msg9835#msg9835

Given the current OpenGoo architecture, what changes would you make? what features would you include in the mobile version? which ones would you leave out? Do you have any ideas for the interface?
Answering these questions would be a good start for us.
Actually, in the same thread I sketched up some features for the mobile version:

http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2510.msg9705#msg9705

I gave up after reading the first link and this last one:
http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2510.msg10110#msg10110
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:59:25 am by carcam »
Gnumla

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:25 am »

I think you should make up your mind about your preferences:

It's very simple:

If you can sponsor with money and we reach the budget, we start developing everything by ourselves immediately .

a2opinion stated he cannot "donate any money" but he is willing to help with development. So we consider that the best he can do nowadays is start helping with documentation (defining requirements, etc). If we can get a "formal" exhaustive requirements document, we would get the integration project started and might even get the integration without the need for sponsoring, just with the work of volunteers.

Actually, in the same thread I sketched up some features for the mobile version:

Read it; and consider it a good start; but we need lots more before we can start the project.

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:42 am »
Hi,

Maybe it could be a good idea to make a page on the wiki where all the volunteers could add usefull content.  With DokuWiki is this very good possible, no?

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 11:58:10 am »
msauter is the wiki administrator.
Please contact him if you wish to add content and you have no permissions.
Best

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »

Read it; and consider it a good start; but we need lots more before we can start the project.

You don't give me more chances, so I gave up the development. After this post:

I asked about db hooks and so on, but your reply (some time later) was only about the sponsorship of the syncing feature.

At that time I could not understand why you started the funambol feature, as everyone was asking a mobile/iphone version, but it didn't seem a bad idea. I wrote to Marcos offering my sponsorship and this morning (Spanish time) I confirmed it, but I am not comfortable about this situation. I feel a bit deceived with your lack of planning.
Gnumla

Cprouvot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:15 am »
I think an Open Goo Apps for IPhone/mobile is a great idea to develop this open source project more than a sync with Funambol!

Do you make an estimation for this development?

Goanna

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 12:31:30 pm »
I vote for a mobile web interface.

My office has users with iPhones, Windows Mobile, Palm Pre and Blackberry's.

Having just an iPhone app would not be helpful to my office as a whole. I would much rather have a unified web system that any mobie deice with a decent browser could access.

Otherwise, There will eventually need to be an iPhone App, a Windows Mobile App, a Palm App, an Android App, etc, etc. That would be much more costly then the mobile web interface.