Poll

If there's a $4 iPhone app for Opengoo I'll buy it

Yes, I need that app.
34 (72.3%)
Own an iPhone but don't need the app.
0 (0%)
An iPhone app? First need to get an iPhone.
13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: iPhone opengoo app development?  (Read 30790 times)

Wilmar

• View Profile
    • Email
iPhone opengoo app development?
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:47 am »
Does anybody know if theres anyone developping an iPhone app for Opengoo. I'm willing to pay for it in the iTunes store, and I'm sure many Opengoo users that have an iPhone wil.

At the moment I'm looking at Toodledo and Basecamp to setup my project management needs as a freelancer. Just because there iPhone apps for these applications. But I like opengoo a lot so I'm reluctant to switch.

I'm a graphic designer and interaction designer. I can't program but I'm willing to help making the UI.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:41:40 am by Wilmar »

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: iPhone opengoo app development?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:16:35 pm »
We also would love to have an IPhone app for OpenGoo, but it isn't planned yet. No one at the core development team has experience developing for the IPhone. If you know of anyone interested on developing this please let us know.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:03:56 pm »
Actually Ignacio, we have developers on the team with experience developing mobile apps and doing iphone apps on side projects.

Doing a good app for OpenGoo is certainly something I would consider if we find someone willing to sponsor the whole project, or enough people to do a joint sponsorship.

Raising $ 5000 would probably be enough to get a decent beta.

Interested parties?
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Wilmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:08 am »
I'm not in the financial position to invest $5000,-. Maybe it's an idea to start a poll or intake list. Suppose the app wil sell for $4,- . Would you start developing if 2000 users would say that they will buy the app when it comes out?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:31:47 pm »
Yes.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

kristjanmik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:40:20 am »
This is a must feature!
I will support this project to get it.

Can I see the changelog for next realese somewere?

cguyer

• MSN Messenger - colby_guyer@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - excag03
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - excag18
    • View Profile
    • TIU11
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »
sounds very interesting, i will stay tuned to this thread.

dalepike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:06:39 am »
Maybe there is a logical place you could put a "donate to fund development" link for paypal? You could set a goal for stages of development and if there wasn't enough donated to make it happen, you could donate the total to a pre-determined charity instead? I for one would put up $10-20, so it would probably take quite a few of "me" before any real traction was to be had.

Mateus

• View Profile
    • Hi-Tech ltd.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:58 am »
Hallo... I think you just need to make a page with usefull info about this App and a funkction, tad eny one who donates more than 10$ will get thiss App for free, and for 5$ donate get an 50% discount. Isn't it ok?

I am whery interested in that kind of App couse I am responsible for work and contacts management @ office and there are 3 users of iPhone for now. If there could be an option to use Opengoo thru iPhone and mabey sybc an contacts to iPhone from Opengoo... ill be ready to donate 100$

There are those who tear down others to build themselves up and those who just build...

xdirewolfx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »
http://code.google.com/p/iui/

Seem like a decent framework to minimize work on iPhone?

jolon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:45 am »
OpenGoo probably doesn't need a super fancy native app that requires objective-C hours and APIs back to each instance you want to access.

The webapp approach seems best. A template and redirect would probably do it. DeviantArt.org still has my favorite implementation of complex web app to iphone.

Some thoughts:

On login: A Dashboard of action items, which features and drills down to priority items

Workspaces would probably be in a Select box, and Functions (Overview, Notes, Contacts, etc.  as Lists, which then drill down to action items?

The first thing to do is think about use cases for interaction on the iphone, as OpenGoo presents a lot of different information within it's 3 columns, and one of the biggest challenges will be to make the info accessible within a 1 column view with less real estate.

I'm checking it out, but thoughts?

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:19 am »
Hi,

We've been giving some thoughts on this:
http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2510.0

Further, I think making an app exclusively for the iPhone would narrow down you potential users ... There are more smartphone then just tha iPhone ;-)

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:17:01 pm »
I tried OpenGoo in an iPhone some time ago. It did work a little bit, being terribly slow, and randomly hanging. My conclusion was that it could be used for some quick task, but definitely not for everyday use.

As Conrado said before, we are not in a position where we can develop a whole iPhone App for free. But we are interested in finding users that might be willing to sponsor it. Just let me know.

Regards,
Marcos

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm willing to sponsor this feature, but only if it will be useable on most of the modern mobile browsers (not just iPhone ;) )
Also, I can't give you the big mony, but I'm willing to sponsor 100 EUR and some development time of my own.

Edit: Maybe it might be usefull to keep an IRC-chat conversation on this topic? (with someone taking notes and make a summary  ::) )
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:47:10 pm by koko »

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:20:06 am »
Yes, I think that a simple mobile web GUI that works on most smart phones would be the best choice.

An iPhone app on the other hand could have some features like accessing data offline or maybe working offline (writing drafts to be uploaded later, for instance) that would not be possible in a web app GUI.