Author Topic: Speeding up FENG?  (Read 14484 times)

choiceoutsource

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Speeding up FENG?
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:53:03 pm »
Hello, will be glad if you guys can share tips on how to speed up FENG? We using it on a small office of 10 people and seems its getting slower every week.

Any tool to do a DB cleanup? Any caching solution? Thanks,

choiceoutsource

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Speeding up FENG?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:36:12 am »
any reply?

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:49 pm »
You may use APC in order to store in cache some values (take into account no documentation about this has been released yet, but yes, it is implemented in the 1.7.4 onwards).
No idea how many emails do you have as well, but if you are able to delete old ones and you have thousands of them, you could  do that too.. plus the fact of using the latest Feng Office version available.

Take into account that it's getting 'slower' every week could be understood with many variations.. plus no idea about the context.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

goaugust

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:01 am »
How much of a performance difference is there between archiving items and trashing items?

choiceoutsource

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »
I would like to know that too.

gmuslera

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »
Hello, will be glad if you guys can share tips on how to speed up FENG? We using it on a small office of 10 people and seems its getting slower every week.

There are things that you can speed up, code and database.

For code Fengoffice supports both APC and Xcache for caching php object code, that speed up pure php execution. Also in 1.7.4+ supports APC for caching variables, mostly from database queries, so improves speed too in that front. It requires some memory for that php code and variables, but makes a good improvement there.

For database (and the "getting slower every week" point in that the problem is around there) you can tune MySQL parameters or how it is installed to improve performance.

choiceoutsource

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »

There are things that you can speed up, code and database.

For code Fengoffice supports both APC and Xcache for caching php object code, that speed up pure php execution. Also in 1.7.4+ supports APC for caching variables, mostly from database queries, so improves speed too in that front. It requires some memory for that php code and variables, but makes a good improvement there.

Can you put me in the directions on how to get that done? Do I need to mess on any code or is it something that needs to be installed on the server?

Thanks,

moorezilla

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »
APC and Xcache are applications that speed up PHP generally. They are not related to Feng per se, but they could certainly speed up the PHP aspects of Feng. Depending upon how you have Apache/PHP compiled, they can be very easy to install (sometimes as easy as apt-get or yum), but they do need to be installed on the server; they have nothing to do with Feng code... other than having the potential to speed up Feng's PHP.

Optimizing MySQL can be dicey, but it could also be as easy as changing settings in your my.cnf config. Scripts like day32.com/MySQL/ can give suggestions. Mileage can vary. If you have your server hosted at an ISP, they'll usually accept a ticket for both installing the opcode and for tuning mysql for performance. Someone who is good at tuning mysql can do wonders for performance. APC and Xcache can also be a good kick in the pants for php, but be aware that some php applications do not run well with one or the other. Kind of a trial and error thing, but if they don't run well, you'll be able to tell easily. Only an issue if you have other php applications running alongside Feng.

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »
We currently are using APC to keep some values in cache, and it is quite faster.
As to trashing/archiving, trashing objects you do not need makes Feng Office faster, but if you want to recover them in a future.. archive them.

Remember the objects first go to the trash and THEN get deleted.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »
I also would recommend to use APC, installation takes only a few minutes, and further optimization of the configuration is also not a very time consuming task

On the other side:
What are the specs of the server FengOffice is running on?
Which OS, PHP & MySQL Version, wich Web Server. And, also the configuration files, memory limit of PHP, the limits of MySQL, is the Fengoffice Database in a InnoDB enviroment or MyISAM, etc.

gmuslera

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »
Is not "the" server that runs Fengoffice, but a lot of them, not all equal fitting special needs, but in general all use CentOS 5, php 5.3.x, MySQL with InnoDB as engine... and using as much memory we can in each particular case (query_cache and innodb_buffer_pool_size are big components of it). As it depends on the installation, numbers good for one case could not be as good for others.

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:21:07 am »
my question was more about choiceoutsource server where he uses FO

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:55:46 am »
I think that we need to speedup js load time (and number of ajax requests), because PHP and MySQL works very quick (less than 1 second), but for view task via URL I need to wait 5-15 seconds when ExtJS loads all objects and render.

So, after opening url (http://example.com/index.php?c=task&a=view_task&id=483) after less than one second I see the template and frame items, but after that I see JS "Loading..." message and this "Loading..." process goes 5-15 seconds.

Speeding up of php and mysql didn't increase process when ExtJS loads and renders interface elements (workspace tree, tags, other).

I think better is to modify page load process to display at first current object info (task, note, etc) and after displaying it - do the background load of other interface elements (projects tree, tags, etc).

I look at the Jquery UI interfaces and they loads many times quicker, maybe the problem is in ExtJS library - loading it spend the all page load tima? Maybe try to move interface from ExtJS to Jquery UI?

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:23 am »
in this case, set the righjt headers for caching js and images within you webserver (so that they are kept for a few weeks) and combine all the javascript files,

simply go to

youdomain.tld/public/tools/ and click on combine js and css

after this you need to edit your config.php and set the two constants COMPRESSED_CSS and COMPRESSED_JS to true.

this dramaticaly reduces the loading time

BUT:! it only works with the stantdard theme of feng not with any custom design
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:47:57 am by nicname »

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:57 am »
in this case, set the righjt headers for caching js and images within you webserver (so that they are kept for a few weeks) and combine all the javascript files,

simply go to

youdomain.tld/public/tools/ and click on combine js and css

after this you need to edit your config.php and set the two constants COMPRESSED_CSS and COMPRESSED_JS to true.

this dramaticaly reduces the loading time
Did you test this on your server? Can you post results before and after this operations?

I think that this will not dramatically increase page load time, because time, spent to load CSS, images and JS (in my tests with http://demo.fengoffice.com/en/index.php?c=access&a=index page) on second time are zero, because all loaded form cache.
Here is page load time chart:
http://wstaw.org/m/2011/07/11/plasma-desktopXN3057.jpg
http://wstaw.org/m/2011/07/11/plasma-desktoppR3057.jpg

So, compressing js and css didn't improve average page load time. It increase time for new visits, but most of visits will be done with registered users, so all static data will load from cache.