Author Topic: Adobe Air Desktop Client  (Read 17148 times)

cloo

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • cloo
Adobe Air Desktop Client
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:57:29 pm »
Could pop-up news, track time, remind events while sleeping in system tray, maybe upload bigger files, etc.
What do you think?

typovar

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adobe Air Desktop Client
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:05:22 am »
Interesting!
Maybe it's possible to extend this client with the Text Layout Framework? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/textlayout/

It makes richer typography possible, since I use OpenGoo for a magazine-editoring-textediting etc. It's nice to be able to create print-ready material online.

(native dutch, so excuse me for my woodenshoe-english)

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:18:38 am »
woodenshoe-english

LOL
Very nice, LOL

Greetings from Germany with "Sauerkraut-English" to the Nederlands.

;D

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:39 pm »
Interesting. Adobe Air not much in our radar at this time though.

@typovar: Don't worry this is a woodenshoes-dutchmans-english friendly forum. In fact, it is even rubbersandals friendly too! Karl knows.  :D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »
it is even rubbersandals friendly too! Karl knows.  :D

Hi Conrado,

who is speaking rubbersandals-english?

;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:04:17 pm by Karl »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »
The south american hippies.  ::)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Dutchmen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:37:38 am »

@typovar: Don't worry this is a woodenshoes-dutchmans-english friendly forum. In fact, it is even rubbersandals friendly too! Karl knows.  :D

Why do I feel myself used now? :o

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:52 pm »

Ha! But you are "Dutchmen" and I referred to "Dutchman's"!  ;)

max

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:49 pm »
BUT to get back to the original intention of this thread, there's 2 ideas.

1 Make OpenGoo more embeddable.
allow for simple scripts that can be embedded in widgets. I was also thinking about adobe air but perhaps web widgets like those offered by Opera, Google Desktop, MacOS X or Vista would make more sense. Basically those are just minified versions of the corresponding applications pages, simply without the clutter of the application bars, info boxes etc. and without all the chrome of a browser.

basically anyone in the openGoo community with some PHP skillscan build this today.
But I believe you core developers could help a lot by providing more app samples for the uninitiated. Having looked at the OGOO code for half an evening I -for one- am certain I couldn't create such a module now, but with more examples I could.

(This all loops back into the complaints that good developers documentation would be great, and that there currently exists no way apparently that other developers can contribute to the core functionality.)

2. Improve the text layout engine
that's certainly a tough job. Have you guys been thinking about an ambedded drawing application yet?? Did anybody look at aviary yet? i'm afraid there is no open source project anywhere near that yet.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 05:40:14 pm »
max,

what do you think about Prism?

--> http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=703.0

Karl

Dutchmen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:16:01 am »

Ha! But you are "Dutchmen" and I referred to "Dutchman's"!  ;)

No problem it was just a joke. ;D

max

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 03:14:27 pm »
Well, Prism... isn't it merely a chromeless Firefox? That doesn't help me.-

Reasons to seek alternatives to the current, slightly Javascript-bloated interface would be:

* better Lo-FI access with narrow bandwidth and small screens - less javascript to download and execute. Don't get me wrong, i totally love the slick user interface experience of the current OGOO. But there will be times when I don't want these, but just the bare necessities. Think browsing from a mobile phone (which albeit clumsy is something it do a lot with basecamp, but simply can't with OGOO). Or intensive use of RSS readers, or email interactivity, mailing-list-style - or hey, how about an OGOO command-line interface for the unix shell!?! Oh Yeah, that would be narrowband as it gets.

* better integration into my desktop. My work habits are pretty fine-tuned. I want my favorite apps at the press of a shortcut when I'm on my desktop, and I like to view my mails and my notes in separate windows side-by-side, for example, with the calendar. but then I'd spend half of my screen for three times the firefox chrome, and OGOO button bars, side panels etc. - Thats the one reason i might enjoy prism for.

* better hackability. Now if there were more, better, customizable RSS feeds for example, or read&write access to OGOO database objects objects via simple URLS, I could think of a thousand cool little hacks & mashups that I could build myself in a widget, or in a web site, for example. Think Zimlets, yahoo pipes, greasemonkey.

* Offline mode: The one feature that I'd hope for when turning to web 3.0 browser alternatives would be a true offline mode with smart resynchronisation when I reconnect. I'm sure it can be done, but somehow web developers just don't seem to think that way. MySQL has that cool feature of synchronizing databases on a binlog level. So you'd have an offline version of OGOO on your laptop, with a "work offline / go online" button which does a mysqlbinlog logfile > mysql --host=masterdbserver when you reconnect.
The other obvious contestant would be Google Gears. Any opinions on this?

to be continued,,,

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »
Ok. Though Max is spoiling the fun, he is right in wanting to go back to work. ;D

I like the features that cloo suggests.

typovar's requirements are much more industry-specific, so I wouldn't put those at top priority at this moment (unless sponsored).

Save for the bigger files uploading, the others are features I see more at the mobile (phone) end. So I am not sure if focus should go onto the desktop, or into better sync with mobiles (ie: syncing events) through standards.

Desktop programming is either OS specific or proprietary-tech-centered. Efforts here should be much analyzed.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:20:11 pm »
Desktop programming is either OS specific or proprietary-tech-centered.
What about Java?

max

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »
In an effort to allow more OS-Specific, Proprietary-tech-centered interactions with OGOO ;) I've begun a little hack to allow command-line interaction with our favorite Web Office Suite.
Ideal for narrowband on-the-road-interaction from anything that can run SSH. Like, my mobile Phone!

first little hack only shows a formatted list of tasks, sorted by tag. To come: Creating new Tasks, marking tasks complete. If Easter then still isn't over, perhaps I'll do something for Contacts & Notes next.

e.g.

PHP OGOO.PHP -u wolf -t tel -w 6

will dump all tasks for me tagged as "tel"  from my private workspace...

I'm putting the script on the developer's wiki. http://wiki.opengoo.org/doku.php/shell_access

I'm a bloody newbie in PHP.
Comments would be welcome, but treat me kindly.