Author Topic: Tightening up the Workspace List  (Read 6303 times)

editfish

• View Profile
Tightening up the Workspace List
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:44:48 am »
I've noticed that once multiple workspaces (and sub-workspaces) get added, the drop down list (when editing or adding) gets quite cluttered, and that the only discernible order is alphabetical.

Although it's still workable, it's all too easy to place something into the wrong workspace--I would suggest that the list reflect the workspace pane (on the left) for more intuitive selection instead of having to mentally sort out whether it's the 'banks' subspace under Links or the 'banking' subspace under Documents?

And as an admin, with multiple users, it compounds the problem exponentially.

2ยข.  But then I'm OCD :P

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: Tightening up the Workspace List
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:08:46 pm »
We are planing to change the list you mention, but have not decided for the best alternative.
The workspace pane is a good suggestion.
Any other creative ideas?
Thanks!
Marcos

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:08:52 pm »
After running the workspace list through my mind for the past 24 hours, I've realized that I am really (really,really!) impressed with how one can navigate through the workspaces via the popups along the dashboard at the top of the screen.

Perhaps altering the dropdown list to mimic this format would be more intuitive for expansive (and multi-level) workspaces?

That way we avoid the cumbersome clicking on '+' to expand a long sublist that is longer than the box that contains it, necessitating more scrolling up and down to find the next sub-level and expand again.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:39 am »
Hi editfish.

Both suggestions are great. Current Workspace selection method (drop-down box) is not good. The real problem begins when you have Workspaces repeating names.

So yes, your suggestion is not only good, it is a must. As soon as we get into this, it will be vastly improved. I think it will probably be something closer to the first alternative, to allow the use of typing. You can't beat typing.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.