Author Topic: Speed Optimizations  (Read 13012 times)

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Speed Optimizations
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:13:26 pm »
Im trying out opengoo since a while, and i think its quite impressing  :).
But there are some things that bother me.
one thing (the only thing i understand a bit ;-)) is speed.

Although im the only user of my opengoo installation, some things take too much time, especially the firt load. (thats becaouse i often online with my laptop via cellphone (almost no bandwith and a latency higher than the taipeh 101))

This aint a problem on the "script" side, its more a problem on how opengoo is build.

At the first load of opengoo, 0,5 mbs are transfered, containing 77 javascript Files 26 stylesheets and 56 Images (overall 60 http requests) which is imho too much.

So my question is.

Would it be possible to add gzip on the php side (so that this is compressed), and to combine some of the css and javascript files ?  (this would not only improve speed by minimizing the http request, it would also make gzip compression more effizient).

FYI: my server enviroment is a Lighttpd server with gzip compression for css javascript and all other text files and php5 via fastcgi

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Optimizations
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:06:54 am »
hmm, nobody has answered but 30 people have watched this thread

this could mean:
nobody cares about it or
nobody wants to do this job

it wouldnt be a problem for me to merge some css files etc so i could do this job ....

i you want me to do this just answer to this post

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »
Hi nicname.

Thanks for the compliments.

We do care a great deal about performance. While there is still a great deal of possibilities and of work that can be done to improve performance, some has already been done.

In particular, there is a way to compress files on the server side.

@Acio, correct me if I am not directing to the latest/best information on this subject.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:01:40 pm »
Yes, the post you linked to and the following post answer the question.

And another thing that you can do to gzip the response, but that may not work on your server, is define a constant in the config/config.php file called 'USE_JS_CACHE' as 'true'. This will try to gzip and cache the javascript.

nicname

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:47:50 am »
hey, nice .....

thanks for the answer .....

its still not as fast as i want it, but it keeps getting better.

i will write a wiki article about it when i think im ready ...;-)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:17:37 pm »
i will write a wiki article about it when i think im ready ...;-)

Cool! Let us know when you do.  ;D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

keyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:15:31 am »
Using the USE_JS_CACHE and COMPRESSED_CSS I was able to half the loading time. It went from 35 seconds to 16 Seconds with no cache on. With the browsers cache enabled it loaded in 4.9 seconds.
After using css and js aggregation and compression I think css sprites for the images would be the next thing.
It's performing at a reasonable speed now. But I would ideally like it to be snappier, but it's not much slower than an app like gmail.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:22 pm »
Nice data, Keyo!  :)

max

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:50:14 pm »
Yes, I can confirm it does speed things up, although it wasn't as much of an increase for me. Loading the initial overview page went from 35secs to ca. 15secs.

That still feels very slow, though.

so to summarize these two threads: you need to add

define('USE_JS_CACHE', true);
  define('COMPRESSED_CSS', true);
  define('COMPRESSED_JS', true);

to your config/config.php

however using Opengoo on a mobile phone is fundamentally impossible still.
When I tried to load the start page today it took about 5 minutes on an HTC TyTn with Opera Mobile 8.x, and then the layout looked garbled.

Do you have any plans for a narrow-bandwidth version, or would it make sense to continue hacking some workarounds?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:51:39 pm »
We have plans for a narrowed down version for mobiles, as well as keep improving loading times on this version. We don't have any concrete plans for the moment though.