Author Topic: Tasks in Calendar view, and draggable  (Read 2265 times)

slyguy5

• View Profile
Tasks in Calendar view, and draggable
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »
It would be nice if there was a way to show tasks in the calendar list in specific time slots. Currently they just show up at the top on a specific date, but not a time.

Would be awesome if the tasks could be shown on the calendar in a specific time slot, and even better would be if you could drag around the items on the calendar, much like Outlook allows.   

Klok does exactly this using AIR:http://klok.mcgraphix.com/klok/features.html#visualDisplay

Hope this gets considered since it will be helpful to many :)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Tasks in Calendar view, and draggable
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:02:19 pm »
All ideas and requests are considere.  ;)

The drag & drop has been discussed already.

Events-task relations are also being constantly analyzed.

t would like to know the particular use-case for which you need to have a task (and not an event) assigned at a particular time.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

slyguy5

• View Profile
Re: Tasks in Calendar view, and draggable
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:13:49 pm »
Glad to hear it has been requested which means others want it too, and it might have a change to be implemented :)

The reason why I think it would be ideal is because I am used to using something like Outlook calendar, or Google's calendar where I am able to look at the calendar view and see exactly what tasks I have on the table and into the future days at any given point.  For example, right now when I want to see tasks I must go to the task view, but that doesn't always give a clear picture as to when a task actually needs to be done.  When you have the view of seeing tasks on a calendar level, it allows a person to easily visualize all tasks that are arriving, and then go about completing them.

Another example is that I sometimes will have a task marked for a day, and it may not be a priority so if I do not get to that task, I have to do a lot of clicking to change the date.  If it was draggable from the calendar view, I could easily click, drag, and drop to the next day.  The ability to drag and drop tasks on a calendar is also very intuitive to productivity because it is a visual layout, not just a list layout like the current task list section offers.

If you look at KLOK, you can see that it functions much like OpenGoo does with the left side folder structure, but on the right hand side it allows the tasks to be viewed, and dragged.  My request is basically a direct clone of this functionality.  You can see it again here: http://klok.mcgraphix.com/klok/screen1.jpg

The Overview page shows tasks in the Upcoming events, milestones and tasks area, but the problem is if a person wants to see the week ahead, or behind it is not possible.  So in theory you already have half of the request already completed with the tasks being shown in the 1 week.  Maybe you can build a way to toggle Events, and Tasks on and off on the calendar view so both events and/or task lists and tasks can be seen in this view.  This alone would be a worthy implementation, even if it didn't include the drag and drop just yet.

If you want more feedback just ask :)