Author Topic: improved E-Mail Features  (Read 9329 times)

Jehu

• View Profile
improved E-Mail Features
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:14 am »
Hi,

there are some features missed in E-Mail module (yes, i know - it's beta)

IMAP
- Associate E-Mail Module-Folders  to IMAP Trash, Drafts and some other folders (e. g. Archive; you can have look at RounCube Mail Client)

in general
- One or more signatures per Account
- GnuPGP
- Functional sorting (e.g. by Date), it's not working at the moment
- Automatic assiciation to a workspace for each Account (already requestet by another User)
- easier removing and adding of tags

Many thanks for your great work! OpenGoo is a really nice Groupware yet. And it will be better!

Jehu

Jehu

• View Profile
Re: improved E-Mail Features
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »
one thing i've forgotten:
on replying a message the original message should be quoted, e.g.

--- original message ----
> this is
> the original
> mail content

Jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:37 pm »
also another request:

by replying an E-Mail should be _that_ account preselected, which have recieved the E-Mail.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:54:55 pm »
Good work! I agree with all of your requests.

jari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:07:31 am »
I second these suggestions.

But there is a fundamental question, apparently a rather big problem: it seems to me that in using IMAP OpenGoo does not act as a real IMAP client, but instead more like a POP client. That is, IMAP clients should display and update the messages in the IMAP server. OpenGoo seems to fetch the messages into it's own repository, after which the IMAP server does not know what happens with the messages.

I need to use my smartphone (Symbian S60), Thunderbird, as well as a webclient for my mails. Since I have an IMAP server, it is convenient to have the save status of the messages displayed in every mail client. For example RoundCube does work pretty nicely in this regard (having some other problems). OpenGoo, unfortunately, does not fit in the picture as it is now. :-( BTW, as far as I know, SugarCRM has the same flaw in their IMAP client implementation.

As much as I sympathize with OpenGoo, if this is how IMAP will work, I must forget using OpenGoo.

Still one detail: would it not be possible to use the IDLE within IMAP to signal about a new message right away? As I see it, the current solution with Cron jobs does not help much, if the user needs to "check the email accounts" to see the new messages.

Anyway, all in all very promising and functionally rich - many thanks and congratulations!

Cheers,
Jari

martino87r

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:42 am »
Of course that IMAP is not working in the way you want. OpenGoo stores all the mails and related metadata in the Database as records to allow then programmatically  edit them (like classify to a workspace etc.).

But here are few nice features to include in the mail system:

1) Possibility to send all objects as an email
ex. Send a note through e-mail simply including a "Send by e-mail" option in the Actions pane

2) Define mail accounts for each workspace and fetch mails automatically
ex. have a "Support" or "Sales" workspace, that fetch all the mails in the background (even if users are logged out) and put them to proper defined folders.

3) Mails between local users send without need of a mail server
ex. Whenever user Joe sends a mail to user Blogg, the mailserver is not contacted at all, and the mail is directly stored in the DB without the standard Send->SMTP->Fetch->POP or IMAP but just STORE in DB -> Read

betty111111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:34 am »
I agree with the original poster and all the email improvements.   For the organizations I want to deploy this in the real value is to have a complete solution.   This would include linking emails to workspaces, which would mean it would replace the current email client such as Outlook.

But the one KEY feature it's missing is to handle attachments!  Form my testing it receives attachments which can only be downloaded.   Direct linking should be possible.   Then composing and attaching files is essential too.
 :'(

jari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:09:52 am »
Of course that IMAP is not working in the way you want. OpenGoo stores all the mails and related metadata in the Database as records to allow then programmatically  edit them (like classify to a workspace etc.).
Of course? Of course it's not "of course". OpenGoo could very well store only key data in it's own database, in addition to OpenGoo-specific properties of the mails. (I don't know the IMAP API myself, but there should exist suitable functions and parameters.) And that is what OpenGoo should do, if it wants to call itself "IMAP enabled". Or if OpenGoo continues to store all the content of the mails itself, it should still refresh and update the status data from/to the IMAP server.

p.s. Thanks for the rapid bug fix version 1.3.1!

hamen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »
+1 GnuPG support

Winchester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:27:45 am »
Good call.. I too would love this.

There one other that I didn't see mentioned. Whenever mail is fetched, it drops into "All" until you move them to where it should be.

It would be good to have the ability to have the mail automatically move to the respective user or contact's workspace instead of "All". We should be able to share the mail box that we want to share and personal/private mail boxes goes only to the contact or group that it was sent to.

You really don't want the CEO's mail going into the "All" for everyone to view if he/she doesn't grab them quickly enough.

seraphim

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:37 am »
- One or more signatures per Account

Hi, I would subscribe to this point of feature request.

Maybe it's possible to add the option for adding Signatures in HTML format?

There should be an option to assign signatures to mail accounts or to select from every mail account to some user defined signatures. Maybe these signatures should be selectable by various groups or users, and it would be a great deal if some "replacement tokens" could be integrated in the signature. In generell, for corporate use this would be a great deal, someone could define a signature template und use some variables like %firstname% %lastname% and so on.

Greetings,
seraphim

damendieta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 02:16:26 pm »
E-mail reception confirmation.

Some times (frecuently) when I send a mail I want to know if the addressee reads it.

I have to use Thunderbird when I send this kind of messages and I would like to have this option in opengoo.

Daniel

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:18 pm »
For a temporary solution, use msgtag, free version generally works pretty well but not in 100% of cases, but biggest downside is that it puts a small msgtag link at the bottom of your emails.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

seraphim

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:24:22 am »
another good feature would be a always visible counter on top beneath the user name, logout link etc. with a text like "you have x mails".

A separate button "get mail" would be also nice. Currently I'm always switching back to workspace "all" and mail and then check it (yes, i'm checking manually).

ylavi

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:46:13 pm »
I posted a little bit about my opinion on IMAP support, quoting one of the messages above, over here:
http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=4559.0