Author Topic: Bug reporting in OpenGoo  (Read 2863 times)

nsrivastava2

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bug reporting in OpenGoo
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:37:49 pm »
I know I am not asking for anything new. I have seen one of the discussions on this topic. The suggestion given to the requester was to use OpenGoo as the Bug reporting tool. So all the user can do is to create a task as a Bug and get it treated as a normal task OR the user can create a Sub workspace for Bug reporting and ask the Tester to log Bugs in that Sub-Workspace as a task.

But at the end of the day, how can one come to know by just seeing a Task that its a Reported Bug or a normal task?

From the usability point of view I think there should be a separate way to know whether a particular task is a bug or a work request.

The easiest way out can be to just give an option -  Report Bug.
When a user opens the "Report Bug" page, he would be presented with the same page as the one used in creating a task. Only difference will be that there will be a classification of this Task as a "Bug". Rest things like priority, assignee, timeline etc etc will remain same as that of a normal Task. Thus with minimal changes OpenGoo will have Bug Reporting functionality too.

Since we are classifying tasks as Task and Bugs so we will have to have an entry for "Pending Bugs" on the dashboard. User shall also have an option to generate the bug report.

Once my programmers are free from billable works I will see that they put in some time in Open Goo and customize it for Bug reporting. Meanwhile if OpenGoo team does that, it will be  wonderful. I have tried to peep into OpenGoo code...its very complex. I could not find any documentation and much time in my hand, because of which could not proceed further.

Regards,

Nitin

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Bug reporting in OpenGoo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:36 pm »
Hi Nitin,

You can use tags to know which tasks are bugs. For OpenGoo development we tag tasks as 'bug', 'feature', 'usability', 'system', etc. If you want to see pending bugs you would have to filter by status 'Pending' and filter by the 'bug' tag. Would this work for you?

Jim Rising

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
this would be fine if we could search timesheets by tag. we warranty bugfixes, and need the ability to report on time spent on non-warranty work so that we can bill for it properly.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:41:15 pm »
You mean being able to filter the time report by tags?

Note that you can assign timeslots directly to tasks, either by clicking the stop watch in the tasks module when you start working and clicking Stop when you finish, or you can enter a timespan (e.g. 3 hours) on a task's detailed view. Then you can see in each task how much time you have spent. You won't be able to filter bugs in the time report. Maybe that's what you're missing.

Jim Rising

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:53:30 am »
that's exactly what we're missing, the ability to filter time reports by tags. this would be perfect for reporting on non-warranty vs. warranty work. (billable vs. non-billable)