Author Topic: Post comment and reassign in one action  (Read 4466 times)

millionleaves

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Post comment and reassign in one action
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:15:08 am »
At the moment, if I post on a task and reassign it to another person, I have to go through two steps (potentially generating two email notifications). It would be great if I could do this in one step, and generate just one notification.

Related to this, there appears to be no way to post a comment once you're editing a task. Is this by design? If you could post a comment while editing, my first comment becomes easy......

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Post comment and reassign in one action
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:11:23 pm »
Seems like what you really need is some description associated to assigning a task, like a text box next to the "Assign to" selection box, that should be sent in the notification email.

millionleaves

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:31:56 am »
That would be good, but i wouldn't want another stream of notes to be stored with the task. We already have the Comments and the Description. To have a third place where a comment can be made on a task would reduce usability.

Would it work to do what you said, but to have the description associated with assigning the task entered as a Comment on the task, and for the comment to be prefixed with "User X reassigned this task to User Y"? For example:

Bob reassigned this task to Mary and made this comment:
Mary, I've done my bit, handing over to you for review and comment.

Similarly you could do something like the following when a task is marked Complete:

Mary marked this task complete and made this comment:
Bob, I've reviewed your work and agree the task can be marked complete.

And if it's reopened:

Bob reopened the task and made this comment:
Mary, sorry - just noticed something I didn't do quite right. Reopening so I can continue working on it.

Hopefully that makes sense? with the huge stream of notifications coming through, it would be helpful to have more contextual information provided with these actions.

Regards

David

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:00:16 pm »
Yes. It makes sense.  ;)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

millionleaves

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:34:55 am »
Glad it makes sense! I guess the real question is whether it is something you are considering adding in a future release?

David

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:17 pm »
Glad it makes sense! I guess the real question is whether it is something you are considering adding in a future release?

Since your request still has no accompanying feature design, how much of it and when will it be added I can not say.

I can tell you we do plan to improve some of these aspects.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

millionleaves

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "accompanying feature design". Is this some further description from me of how I'd like it to work? I'll certainly do that if that's the next step.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:36:06 pm »
It is certainly the next step in the development process. We should also make sure that we find and allocate the coder to do this gig.  ;)